[CC] Campus computer confiscated from professor @ Virginia Tech

George(s) Lessard cyberculture@zacha.org
Fri Apr 12 03:21:00 2002

[Excerpt]

Some faculty members at Virginia Tech say they're worried about their privacy
and their intellectual-property rights following an incident last week in which
campus police officers seized a professor's computer to search it for an e-mail
message about a vandalism incident...

... "Going by the logic of those cops, the university can confiscate basically
any documents stored in our offices (as we use office paper), confidential
letters (on official letter pads) and e-mail messages (university software,
again), and tap into our phone messages (on the phone machines) as well:
without any specific formal legal mandate or explanation or prior notice or
warrant."